Re: [Shop-talk] Stoves

To: "John T. Blair" <jblair1948@cox.net>
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] Stoves
From: "David Scheidt" <dmscheidt@gmail.com>
Date: Sun, 11 Jan 2009 13:54:48 -0500
On Sun, Jan 11, 2009 at 12:26 PM, John T. Blair <jblair1948@cox.net> wrote:
> With all this talk about refrigerators and stoves, I've got a couple of
> questions.
>
> 1. Any one using an induction stove top?  My wife saw a show yesterday about
> then, and was wondering if they were worth it?

Induction burners are great.  They're a heck of a lot more efficient
than regular electric stoves, and miles ahead of an open flame.
(Somewhere between 80% and 95% of the energy from an induction burner
makes it into the pot, compared with 50-65% for electric, and 40% for
gas.  The rest heats your kitchen.)  they're also easier to clean: the
stove top doesn't get hot, except from the heat transmitted back from
the pan, so less burned on crud.   They also react to changes in the
controls faster than even gas stoves do.

You do need proper cookware for them, which may or may not require new
pans.  they're still pretty expensive, but they've come down in price,
and increased in availability.  They've been common in parts of Europe
for quite some time.  Until recently, there haven't been many ranges
available in the US, just cooktops, but Sears has one (or maybe two)
now.

> 2. With the newer flat top stoves, how do you change a burner?  Or do you
> have
> to replace the entire flat top (all burners) if one fails.  Last time we
> were looking
> at kitchen appliances I asked the sales man, and he said you call repair.
>  Not the
> answer I was looking for. :)

Some have them embedded in the glass, others have them underneath, and
can be replaced normally, after you remove the glass (which is big
pain; it's heavy!, and you'll likely need a new gasket around it).

--
David Scheidt
dmscheidt@gmail.com