Re: [Shop-talk] Load bearing walls

To: Jim Stone <jandkstone99@msn.com>, shop-talk@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] Load bearing walls
From: Steven Trovato <strovato@optonline.net>
Date: Sun, 21 Dec 2008 23:19:37 -0500
In general, such a job involves temporarily supporting the ceiling,
removing the wall in question, and installing a suitable header and
support for the ends of that header.  For your specific case, I don't
think anyone can give you definitive answers without looking at the
house.  The actual destruction and construction (hopefully in that
order)  are not necessarily more than a non-beginner can handle.  But
to evaluate the situation, and spec out the solution, I think you
want someone experienced and trusted to give you some answers.  I bet
that if you call a contractor, he would feel comfortable evaluating
and doing the job based on his experience and "standard" building
practices in your area.  I doubt he would call in a structural
engineer unless the authorities require it.  But the key here is
finding someone whose judgement you trust.  I have seen contractors
who just fire up the old sawzall without giving a second
thought.  You don't want one of those guys.  I think step one is to
find someone you trust to evaluate the job.  Maybe a structural
engineer, but not necessarily.  Then you can make your decisions from there.

-Steve Trovato
strovato@optonline.net