Re: [Shop-talk] Networked home wiring

To: "Trevor Boicey" <trevor@boicey.com>
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] Networked home wiring
From: "Karl Vacek" <kvacek@ameritech.net>
Date: Thu, 11 Dec 2008 12:45:20 -0600
These devices are wired in - no batteries.

You replace a switch and a receptacle, for instance, even on different
circuits.  Then you program them together, and the switch controls the
receptacle.  Lots of programming options, one switch can control different
receptacles in varying patterns depending on which button you press.  You
can also set up lots of switches to control one or several receptacles, and
dimming is included too.  Lots more options than my current imagination has
covered - I just need it for a few specific areas - but once I start messing
with it I suppose I'll become an enthusiast and have stuff flashing and
dimming all over the place.

The article did mention that one of the makers of these devices is the
company that makes the X-10 line, but the article made it sound like X-10
was gone.  Googling I noted that several other companies not mentioned in
the article that make these switches and receptacles as well, including
Leviton.

Karl