[Shop-talk] Wire mesh for birdfeeder

To: "'Shop Talk'" <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: [Shop-talk] Wire mesh for birdfeeder
From: "cornerexit" <cornerexit@gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 9 Dec 2008 09:09:54 -0800
We have a pretty active backyard bird population and feed them with two
feeders, one with straight black sunflower seeds, and one with mixed seed.

The feeder with mixed seed is a two sided affair with seed troughs and
perches that the birds line up on to pick the seed out of the trough. The
problem is there are some larger birds that like to sit right in the middle
of the perch and sweep their beak side to side, which flings all the seed
off onto the ground, much to the squirrels delight. While this may be good
for the squirrels it is not so good for our budget as we are going through
an alarming amount of mixed seed. So.

I'd like to tack some sort of wire mesh to this wood feeder over the trough
such that it would prevent the big birds from sweeping their beak but still
allow the little bird's access to the seed. The problem is coming up with
something that has a suitable mesh size. Typical chicken wire is too large,
and window screen is too small. There has to be something in between these
sizes that would be appropriate and that I could get from a home improvement
or farm store?

Thanks

Wayne