Re: [Shop-talk] Using gas indoors

To: "'Shop Talk List'" <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] Using gas indoors
From: "Randall" <tr3driver@ca.rr.com>
Date: Tue, 18 Nov 2008 23:59:08 -0800
> Which
> of these have the potential to kill me?

All of them.  However, the potential is relatively low.  The main points are

1) Adequate ventilation.  Anything that combusts has the potential to use up
all the oxygen.  Most houses leak enough air that you don't need to open a
window or anything; but some don't.  Of course if you are awake, you'll
hopefully notice the problem and go outside for a bit, but people have been
known to die in their sleep from lack of O2.

2) Clean combustion.  Propane normally burns very clean, but check the flame
to ensure it's all blue, no yellow tips.  Yellow tips indicate not enough O2
for complete combustion, which means it's producing CO.

And
3) Fail-safe burner.  If you are going to be sleeping, make sure there is a
valve to shut off the gas if the flame goes out for whatever reason.

However, if you are just using them for cooking (relatively short, attended
operation); then none of this is worth worrying about.  The problems arise
when people start using them for 'comfort' heating and go to sleep.

BTW, you can buy both CO and O2 depletion (ODS) alarms.  Should be under $20
each, I think.  Might be a good idea if there is any chance you want to
sleep with an unvented heater.

Randall