[Shop-talk] outdoor RV receptacle box

To: shop-talk@autox.team.net
Subject: [Shop-talk] outdoor RV receptacle box
From: Mark Andy <mark@sccaprepared.com>
Date: Fri, 14 Nov 2008 17:01:08 -0500 (EST)
Howdy,

I'm once again considering what I'd need to do to get an easier power
access for my RV and trailer.

I'm thinking of getting a box like this:

http://www.pplmotorhomes.com/parts/rv-power-cords/rv-electrical-outlets-new.htm

and mounting it on a 4x4 pressure treated post at the corner of the
driveway.  To get power to it, I can poke a hole out of the garage above
the ceiling, then into conduit down into the ground, then in the ground to
the corner of the driveway at the base of the pole, then in conduit up the
pole and into the box.

First... Does that sound like it would meet typical code & "not dumb"
requirements?

Second... Total wire distance is probably on the order of 150' or so from
the electrical box.  Since there are two breakers in there at 30A and 20A,
I assume I need to be able to handle 50A on the line I run, correct?  What
wire guage do I need for that?

For the in-ground part... What depth?  I'm in Ohio and the ground does
freeze.  I'll also want to be able to drive typical compact (not lawn)
tractors over the lawn where its buried, etc.  In conduit for the in
ground part as well?  Plastic or metal?

How fast is a typical rental trencher for this type of stuff?  The ground
here isn't particularly rocky or anything.

Finally... $130 seems like an awful lot for a metal box with a couple
breakers & receptacles... Are there any cheaper options?  I want it to be
rain-proof with the cables plugged in, but I don't care about having
breakers at the box.  I need a 30A receptacle for the motorhome and the
trailer can get by with just regular 15A or 20A.

Appreciate any advice...

Mark