[Shop-talk] Log rack out of chain link top rail and cinder blocks

To: <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: [Shop-talk] Log rack out of chain link top rail and cinder blocks
From: "old dirtbeard" <dirtbeard@pacbell.net>
Date: Sun, 2 Nov 2008 16:34:38 -0800
Hi all,

Maybe it was two years ago now that I was taking out a dog run from a previous
owner and was thinking about making a log rack for firewood out of the fence
pipe. I posted a message about joining chain link fence top rail to build a
firewood rack and somebody here suggest the aluminum 90 degree elbows that I
did not even know existed. Well I did that and built an 8'L x 4'H x 2'D 3-rail
log rack that sits on a couple 15" cinder blocks. It really only cost the
price of the 90 degree elbows (thank you who ever suggested it) which was
about $15.

One of our fireplaces will accept 4' logs, and if you are cutting your own
wood, it is easier to leave them longer, but if you buy wood, it comes in all
lengths. The only problem I had with rack was that when mixing long and short
logs, the short ones could fall through without careful stacking, so I thought
about adding leftover chain link so that the short logs and the kindling would
not fall through.

Lengthwise view:
http://www-rcf.usc.edu/~shook/log_rack/DSCN5213.JPG

View of the top:
http://www-rcf.usc.edu/~shook/log_rack/DSCN5214.JPG

View of where it sits on the blocks:
http://www-rcf.usc.edu/~shook/log_rack/DSCN5215.JPG

End view:
http://www-rcf.usc.edu/~shook/log_rack/DSCN5216.JPG

View demonstrating how small logs don't fall through:
http://www-rcf.usc.edu/~shook/log_rack/DSCN5217.JPG

It was almost free, easy to build, has great capacity, is much stronger than
it needs to be and should last forever.

FWIW

best,

doug