Re: [Shop-talk] Quick question on garage floors and garage lifts

To: "'shoptalk'" <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] Quick question on garage floors and garage lifts
From: "Randall" <tr3driver@ca.rr.com>
Date: Wed, 29 Oct 2008 14:58:23 -0700
> Hmm. Not quite right. It's true that the EE department had an ARPANET IMP
> in one
> of the labs (it was the signal processing prof ... can't recall his name)
> but
> they balked at buying the interface required to connect it to a PDP-11,
> thinking
> they should build their own.

That could be, the access may have been by dialup.  But I'm sure it existed;
and I'm pretty sure it was the big 11/70 instead of one of the smaller
11/45, etc. systems.  I'll ask George, next time I see him.

> The CS department got an IMP in 1981 as part of the CSNET project, and
> that
> finally got Purdue onto the ARPANET (I was in charge of it.)

Long after my time there.

> First there was PROCSY, then there were VAXen that supplanted/replaced
> PROCSY

Was that what PIRATE ran on?  I didn't realize the CS department had VAXen
at that point.  Must not have been too much later that they started buying
DEC equipment tho, since it seemed to be all over when I went back for my
sister's graduation.

Randall