Re: [Shop-talk] Oil grade selection

To: shop-talk@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] Oil grade selection
From: Richard Beels <rbeels@yahoo.com>
Date: Thu, 23 Oct 2008 02:40:19 -0400
Same here with a couple Audi I5 (straight 5) engines in the past
year.  These were from '88 with 200Kish miles on them.  When we owned
them (bought both used around 50K miles each), they got Rotella
Synthetic, changed twice a year (spring and fall) with about 6-7000
miles between changes.  Oil pan sprang a leak on one and when I
dropped it there was only a hint of sludge/crudge in the
bottom.  Amazingly clean oil...

Heck, I can still see honing marks on a couple of my Stihl chainsaw
cylinders after years of running them.  Of course, go a little lean
and those honing marks turn to scoring marks...   :-O

At 10/22/2008 at 14:21, Shakespearean monkeys danced on Doug Braun's
keyboard and said:
>Last spring I had to replace the head gaskets on my
>'98 Subaru, and I had a chance to inspect the cylinder
>walls.  Even after 125k miles, I could still see the
>original honing marks all around the cylinder walls,
>even in the regions where the greatest wear occurs.
>
>Also, when I checked the valve clearances, none of the
>intake valves needed any adjustment.
>
>You'd never see these things in an older engine!

Cheers!