Re: [Shop-talk] welder-related question

To: scott.hall@comcast.net,Shop Talk List <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] welder-related question
From: Steve Shipley <shiples@comcast.net>
Date: Wed, 15 Oct 2008 15:25:47 -0700
At 08:14 PM 10/15/2008 +0000, scott.hall@comcast.net wrote:
>thanks guys. any idea about the clarke welders themselves?

No hard facts here, only passing on observations.

These used to be the brand that I'd see in the English car restoration
magazines like Practical Classics.  At some point in time, the brand
crossed the pond and became available in the US.  I don't believe
that Clarke makes welders.  I remember one reference that claimed
that at least one model was made in Italy.  I can't remember the name
of the manufacturer.

The advantage of buying Miller or Lincoln is that you can be reasonably
sure that support will be there later.  You won't get a dumb look at the
local supplier when you mention the name.

Call up your local welding store and ask for help with a Clarke welder.
That'll help you make a decision.