Re: [Shop-talk] Heat Pumps? (part 2 of 2)

To: shop-talk@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] Heat Pumps? (part 2 of 2)
From: "John T. Blair" <jblair1948@cox.net>
Date: Mon, 22 Sep 2008 07:20:50 -0400
At 07:42 PM 9/21/2008, Chris Kantarjiev wrote:

 >I've just recently heard about the geothermal version - what I
don't understand
 >is how these get heat? Or is the heat pump really just providing cooling?

The best way to think of a heat pump is a window air conditioner.

When it is cooling you have cool air blowing off the front into the house,
right?  But what do you feel if you go outside and stand behind the AC unit?
Heat.  The air conditioner is moving the heat from inside to outside.

This is a heat pump working in the AC mode.  Now when it turns cold,
suppose you took the window air conditioner out of the window and turned
it around.  Now the cool air is blowing outside and the warm air is blowing
inside.

A heat pump as a reversing valve in it that does basically that.

The heat is generated by the compressor chainging the state of the coolant
(freon) from a low pressure gas to a high pressure gas.  Do you have a
compressor in your garage?  What happens to the compressor jugs and
even the storage tank when you use the compressor?  Compressing air
generates heat.  So if you could capture that heat, you've got a heater.

The geothermal heat pump just gives you a stable temperature platform
to work from.  In stead of temps being 100 deg or 40 deg or someplace
in between the recirculating coolant is about 55 all the time.

For a better explination try googling "how does a geothermal heat pump work".

Here is one site that has a simple explination:

http://www.consumerenergycenter.org/home/heating_cooling/geothermal.html

Va. Beach, Va
Phone:  (757) 495-8229

                        65 Rambler Classic