Re: [Shop-talk] lift set-up

To: shop-talk@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] lift set-up
From: Matt Wehland <mattw@webtripper.com>
Date: Thu, 18 Sep 2008 21:07:17 -0500
On Wed, 2008-09-17 at 02:58 +0000, Matt wrote:
> I am finally setting up my (Complete Hydraulics) 4 post lift.  It is the type
> where plastic blocks on each end of the cross bars ride inside the posts.  The
> instructions call for greasing the inside of the posts.  Does anyone have
> recommendations on lubricant for the inside of the posts?  Options range from
> GP grease to silicone to dry film lubricant.  Just thought it would be worth a
> query to see if any listers had some wisdom to share on this.
> Thanks,
> Matt

IIRC we just used wheel bearing grease on my Dad's lifts.
Plenty of it.

I don't think I would use silicone or any light type grease on it.

One thing I would look at when assembling any more lifts is rust
proofing/extra coating the plates that touch the ground.

My dad's are showing signs of rust.
While they are heavy metal, I still worry about them weakening due to
rust (especially if they have battery acid spilled on them and live in a
area that uses salt).

Matt Wehland