[Shop-talk] Product Liability

To: Shop Talk List <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: [Shop-talk] Product Liability
From: Wayne <wmc_st@xxiii.com>
Date: Mon, 15 Sep 2008 22:41:02 -0400
David C. wrote:
> BTW, I don't necessarily buy the argument that lawyers drive up the cost
> of U.S. made goods.  H.F. sells their stuff in the U.S. through their
> retail outlets, so if someone gets hurt with one of their tools they may

Yeah, they're a favorite scapegoat, but I don't think they're hurting
most small time manufacturing that badly.

OtOH, Do you have any good / amusing / gory product liability stories?
I used to work at a division of the [now defunct] Black Clawson Co that
made heavy machinery for the paper and recycling industry.  One of the
main products was a "hydropulper" -- basically a gigantic blender that
you could run tree stumps or bales of scrap paper into.  Custom designed
in 6 - 14 foot diameters!  These were commonly mounted below the floor,
so the top rim was a floor level (you can see where this is going! [no -
not margaritas!])  Of course we had fence type things around them as a
liability CYA -- the customers promptly removed those so they could
bulldoze stuff right into them.  And all too often there were accidents
and suicides of people going through them.  STOP the line!  Do we have
any customer orders for PINK paper this week?!

   -Wayne