Re: [Shop-talk] Flooding Stalled Car

To: Shop Talk <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] Flooding Stalled Car
From: Rush <jdrush@enter.net>
Date: Sat, 13 Sep 2008 23:04:49 -0400
Jim Stone wrote:
> It seems unlikely to me that the water could have gotten into the engine with
> only a foot of water and I can't believe Volvo would put sensitive electronics
> where they would have been damaged by only a foot of water.  For now, he is
> leaving the car in the garage and letting everything dry out before trying it
> again.  In the meantime, does anyone have any advice for him or thoughts on
> what might have gone wrong?

Volvo like to put cool air intakes towards the front, behind the grille.
No specific knowledge of the S80, but all the rest of mine have had one
located there. Hit high water with enough speed and the bow wake can
raise the water level enough to get sucked into the intake and wrecking
the motor. Sorry to be so pessimistic, but it is well enough known in
Volvo circles for this to happen.

Hoping for the best,
Jon