Re: [Shop-talk] Fastener question

To: Phil Nase <nases@verizon.net>
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] Fastener question
From: Chris Kantarjiev <cak@dimebank.com>
Date: Tue, 09 Sep 2008 12:32:54 -0700
Phil Nase wrote:
>> I need to attach an electric fuel pump to a 1960 AH Sprite.  The
>> area I would like to use on the car is a boxed section in front of
>> the rear axle.  I can't get inside to use a nut on the bolt.

This is exactly what riv-nuts are for. A good local hardware store should be
able to sell you a few fasteners and the simple handtool required to install
them (that is, you don't necessarily need the adapted pop-rivet gun).

>> Any suggestions on what type of fastener to use to secure it
>> firmly?  The Facet pump came with two self tapping 1/4 x 28 or 32
>> tpi screws.  Will that hold it well enough on thin sheet metal?
>>
>> I will also need to use some sort of shock absorption behind it,
>> possible just some thin rubber like a grommet?

Facet makes a mounting kit for exactly this purpose - two rubber blocks, each
of
which has two studs molded in. One stud goes into the hole you make, one mounts
the pump.

Using this kind of mounting is important for the life of the pump.