[Shop-talk] Wood stove insert installation tool

To: "'Shop Talk'" <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: [Shop-talk] Wood stove insert installation tool
From: "cornerexit" <cornerexit@gmail.com>
Date: Sun, 7 Sep 2008 16:39:51 -0700
Hello,

I have an older insert that we really like and I would like to install a
stainless chimney liner inside our existing masonry/tile chimney (which is
still in great shape).

In researching this install it has become evident that I need to modify the
stove outlet, which I can do with some simple fabrication and welding.
Modification will result in the stove having a 6 flue vent collar like all
the new stoves have. This will allow attaching either the stainless liner
directly to the stove or through the use of an appliance connector which are
designed for such situations.

The second thing is there is precious little room/clearance to fasten the
connector to the stove once the stove is in place. There is 1.125 of
clearance between the top of the stove and the top of the fireplace opening.
There is a little less than 5 on either side of the stove when it is in
place, but that 5 is a bit deceiving as the fireplace box tapers narrow in
the back. I can get part of my forearm in there but I cant access the top
of the stove near the collar.

The idea is to have the liner all installed and the connector hovering just
above where the stove collar will be, then place the stove in the hole. The
trick will be trying to get the connector down over the stove collar, and
then use some sort of combination of < drive extensions and flex joints to
try and put the two fasteners in that secures the connector to the stove
collar.

Im hoping I can get the connector down over the stove collar using my sons
skinny arms and various tools like a very long shafted screwdriver. We will
see once the stove is set in place but I have a feeling this method will be
just wishful thinking.

I may have to go into the stove and come up through the stove opening/collar
to grasp the connector/liner end and pull it down over the stove collar.
This stove is quite deep and even though I have pretty long arms I wont be
able to actually get my hand up through the collar. I can get my hand back
to the stove flue vent opening and partially into the opening if I jam my
shoulder into the door opening on the stove.

So Im wondering about a tool that could be made or purchased that I could
poke up through the stoves flue vent opening and into the liner, then pull
the liner down over the flue vent collar on the stove. Im thinking
something like the old style black bulb toilet tank floats, something that
could be inserted into the liner opening past the end of the liner and then
inflated with air such that it expanded a bit against the interior of the
liner. Then pull the liner down over the collar and deflate and remove the
tool.

What type of tool could be made or purchased that would grasp the interior
of the liner above the end of the liner and used to pull the liner down over
the stove flue vent collar?

Thanks

Wayne