[Shop-talk] painting a new gas tank

To: "shop-talk" <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: [Shop-talk] painting a new gas tank
From: "john niolon" <jniolon@bham.rr.com>
Date: Sat, 6 Sep 2008 10:09:13 -0500
I'm in the second decade of building a street truck... '53 f-100.  It's
still in pieces but plans are made to paint the frame and suspension parts
this weekend and start building back up... It's been almost together already
once...

thinking about the gas tank... It's a repro Mustang tank that has been
mounted between the frame rails under the bed.  It's from gastanks.com and
is a new repro item.. it's coating is Corrosion Resistent Ni-Terne steel...
so I'm assuming it's somewhat rust resistant.

I think I want to paint it to match frame color  (sherwin williams acrylic
urethane dark gray metallic) and wonder what the prep might need to be ???
just prime and paint or does
Corrosion Resistent Ni-Terne steel have to be etched/prepped a different
way...

anyone have any experience with this type stuff.... guess I could call SW
but it's the weekend and they're closed...

any ideas ???

thanks
John

Everyone seems normal until you get to know them.