Re: [Shop-talk] HB drill press

To: Phil Nase <bugi1960@gmail.com>, Shop-Talk List <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] HB drill press
From: Doug Braun <doug@dougbraun.com>
Date: Tue, 26 Aug 2008 13:26:27 -0700 (PDT)
I am rather late replying to this, but here is my bit:

If you are buying ANY made-in-China drill press, try
real hard to examine the actual unit you will
purchase.  It is common for the movable plunger part
(I'm sure there is a proper technical name for it) to
be a bit loose in its bore, which means that the tip
of the drill bit will have some side-to-side play,
which makes fine, accurate work impossible.  Try to
find a unit where the plunger has the smallest
possible amount of free play, especially when it is
lowered in inch or two.

Also, buying a name brand (e.g. Sears Craftsman) is no
guarantee of better quality here.

Doug