Re: [Shop-talk] HF drill press

To: Shop Talk List <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] HF drill press
From: Wayne <wmc_st@xxiii.com>
Date: Mon, 25 Aug 2008 12:07:09 -0400
Phil Nase wrote:
> I need an inexpensive drill press for occasional home use.  I don't
> need a lot of extras.  Mostly just light car restoration work.

I have a Craftsman one that was given to me.  It looks remarkably
identical with this:
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=44506
Its previous owner bought it for wood work, and complained that the
whole spindle and chuck had too much flex for the accuracy he wanted.
I've only used it a few times.  It does seem to have some slop in it,
but wasn't detrimental for what I was doing.  I did see HF wanted $60
for that one but had another of similar size and specs for $90;  hmm...
what's the difference?

   -Wayne