Re: [Shop-talk] Cleaning out fuel tank (Round II)

To: "Shop Talk" <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] Cleaning out fuel tank (Round II)
From: "Steve Hammatt Mount Vernon WA USA" <gsteve@hammatt.com>
Date: Thu, 17 Jul 2008 19:46:36 -0700
To reply and clarify:
1.  Interesting comments about air powered vacuum.  Will check out.
2.  Don't want to blow out with compressed air because it would
probably
just create a mess in the tank and I can't reach parts of the tank due
to partial baffles.
3.  Tank has been "dry" for 24 hours, so concern of fumes is seemingly
justified.
4.  Difficult to "flush out" with water due to baffles and the fact
that it is
firmly attached to the body and under the driver's seat.
5.  Magnet idea is still thrashing around in my head.
6.  Comment about tapered plug valve being hard to turn is valid.
I'm getting ready to substitute with a new 1/4 turn ball valve from
McMaster Carr.
7.  Can't open up the bottom plug without risk of damage and I'm
needing to
get this back on the road within 9 days.
8.  My side exit on the "bulb" is small and of not much help in
cleaning out.
9.  Flushing is not a solution (pun intended).
10.  No trips to the radiator shop.  Inside of tank is basically clean
and coated.
Merely trying to clean out the "bulb" or "sump".  Besides, I'm not
going to
remove the body from the chassis to get at the gas tank.
11.  Oil suction gun provides minimum amount of vacuum duration.  Not
suitable.
The engine cleaning gun is an air/solvent blaster.  The only suction
is for solvent
pickup.  Not suitable.

Super thanks guys.  Keep coming with the suggestions.

Steve Hammatt
Mount Vernon WA USA