Re: [Shop-talk] Tabbed axle washers

To: <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] Tabbed axle washers
From: "Randall" <tr3driver@ca.rr.com>
Date: Tue, 15 Jul 2008 11:12:31 -0700
> I left all that explanation out of my first post, having initially written
> it and then edited for brevity.  You asked, so here goes...

I did indeed, tho it was mostly intended as a rhetorical question. <g>

Personally, I'd just use a hardened flat washer and let it go at that.  With
the inner race clamped tightly between the nut and spacer, it's going to
take some serious violence for the race to turn.  If you want some extra
insurance against the nut turning after the bearing seizes and rips loose,
you could use something harder than an ordinary cotter pin to locate the
nut.  But since you're already upgrading to a better suited bearing, I
wouldn't feel it was necessary.  Just my $.02, of course.

Sorry, I'm still stalking eBay looking for an affordable magnetic chuck, or
I'd offer to grind it for you.

Randall