Re: [Shop-talk] DC power supplay for home plating

To: KVacek@Ameritech.net
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] DC power supplay for home plating
From: Don55CM@aol.com
Date: Fri, 23 May 2008 09:56:59 EDT
In a message dated 5/19/2008 9:03:02 A.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
kvacek@ameritech.net writes:

With all  the talk about power supplies for plating, would someone please
give us  non-electronic types some succinct guidance on what's required for a

plating power supply ?

What I mean is the general current and  voltage requirements, which parameter
is most important to control,  etc.  How do we figure out how large a tank a
particular power supply  can handle ?

The directions for you kit should tell you how much current is required per
surface area of part being plated.  Most important is the current.   The
resistance of the tank will be very low (fraction of an ohm).  Cheap  way is to
get
a voltage only regulated power supply, and put a high current 1  ohm resistor
in series with the tank.  Best way is to get a current  controlled power
supply, turn the voltage limit up and use the current  control.  Too much
current
will make the plating rough, dull and  porous.  If you use an unregulated
supply (battery or charger), you need to  vary the control resistance based on
the
size of the part being  plated.  That's a real pain.

Don

Tyler Florence" on AOL Food.