Re: [Shop-talk] painting brick building with color change

To: shop-talk@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] painting brick building with color change
From: David Hillman <hillman@planet-torque.com>
Date: Tue, 13 May 2008 16:01:41 -0400 (EDT)
On Tue, 13 May 2008, Ron Horwitz wrote:
> I'm guessing that priming is a must?  What type of
> finish (flat, semi-gloss, etc.) is recommended?  Any
> tips (other than writing a check to a real painter) to
> make my weekend easier?

    On a somewhat-related note, my house is currently a half-brick split
ranch.  Due to the somewhat garish color of the brick ( orange ), we're
going to cover it with some fake rock ( dyed concrete, Cast Natural Stone
brand ).  The 'stone' can be mortered directly to an existing brick wall,
but only if the brick is unsealed.

    Anyone know how I can tell definitively if the brick is sealed?  It
doesn't seem to be, but the house is almost 40 years old.  Would it still
be obvious?

    Thanks.

--
  David Hillman
  "not a mason, but playing one in a couple weeks"