Re: [Shop-talk] Chain saw on a pole

To: "Shop Talk List" <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] Chain saw on a pole
From: "Mullen, Tim" <Tim.Mullen@ngc.com>
Date: Mon, 12 May 2008 12:35:58 -0500
pethier@comcast.net wrote:

> Go buy one of those camper's chainsaws.  Looks like a chainsaw
> chain curled up

Or better still, a "Rope Saw".  I got mine at Harbor Freight, but
Northern Tools and others sell them usually for around $30.  Here's a
link to one:
http://www.cspoutdoors.com/higlimropcha.html

Basically it's a length of chain saw with ropes tied to each end.  Mine
(like the one pictured) has a weight hanging off of one end of the chain
that makes sure the cutting side is "down".  You throw one end of the
rope (with the bean bag on the end) over the limb, and when it gets to
the ground, you have both ends of the rope.  You then stand to the side
with the ropes at about a 45 degree angle.  The weight orients the chain
the right way (doesn't work if you are standing underneath it.  Then
start sawing by pulling each end of the rope.

How high you can go is only limited by how high you can toss the bean
bag, and how long a rope you add to the ends.  I used it to cut through
a huge limb that was protruding over my driveway (and the birds were
using to crap on my cars from).  I was much higher than I could have
reached with a pole saw.  Much cheaper, and takes up much less room in
storage.

Tim Mullen

Chantilly, VA