Re: [Shop-talk] Amusing problem for auto mechanics!

To: Bill Engle Sr <whesr@iglou.com>
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] Amusing problem for auto mechanics!
From: Mike Rambour <mikey@b2systems.com>
Date: Wed, 07 May 2008 21:31:50 -0700
 Nov, 4 1974 about 3PM a 16 year old took a bath in one of those
180degree lye hot tank, jumped out in seconds, burned on 80% of his
body, somewhere around 15% 3rd degree, 40% 2nd degree and the rest minor
but still burnt.  Mother was told at the hospital he would not live, he
was wheeled out of the hospital 3 months later and took another 3 months
to take his first steps again and about a year before he could walk
pretty normally again.  3 surgeries for skin grafts, little trivia
question, did you know your eyelids are the only place they can get skin
sensitive enough for a certain part of the male body and it takes 3-4
weeks for the eyelids to recover before you can redo the surgery ? and
it took 3 times (like to brag it was due to size but bragging is not
polite).

 Yeah, I HAVE A EXTREMELY HEALTHY RESPECT FOR THOSE THINGS !!!  The
doctor told me and my mother I was really lucky my head never went
under, the lye would have eaten the whites of my eyes in seconds and I
would have shut down instantly and never come out, they never found my
safety glasses even when they drained the tank.  I was throwing up bits
of stomach for several weeks as I swallowed some that splashed into my
face but my safety glasses saved my life.  The rubber soles of my
sneakers never came out of the tank either, just the tops came out with
me.  What saved me what I had a hook in my right hand that was 1 to 2ft
long with which I was trying to grab the chain that was bolted the
motors head in the tank, I am guessing I pushed off the bottom with that
hook and that kept my head from going under and that is why my right arm
was more burnt than my left arm, but I am only guessing that as I really
don't remember much.  Not even sure how I fell in, I am guessing I was
on a 55gal. drum next to the tank but don't know.

 Don't ever get into a "scar" contest when drunk with me, I win when I
drop my pants :)

    mike