Re: [Shop-talk] jack stands

To: shop-talk@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] jack stands
From: Mark Andy <mark@sccaprepared.com>
Date: Thu, 1 May 2008 09:30:49 -0400 (EDT)
Howdy,

On Wed, 30 Apr 2008, FRED E THOMAS wrote:
> I had a back hoe carve out a 7 ft deep, 3 ft wide and 22 ft long "pit"
> in the floor of my garage with steps to walk down and under any size
> car, cost me a total of $1200. and I think the best money I have ever
> invested, gosh does it make it easy to do all underside of the cars.
> "FT"

My dad has a pit also.

If you've got limited clearance, its certainly a decent option I guess,
provided its allowed by code (seems like that's an issue at least
commercially), but it has some drawbacks...

1st, you've got to climb up/down steps ever time you need to get in/out.
That gets old on your 2nd or 3rd trip back to the toolbox, particularly if
your pit is like my dad's where its not really long enough to have the
stair end completely exposed so that you don't need to wriggle past the
bumper.

2nd, you've got even worse access to stuff in the pit than you do with a
four post lift.  Again, no quick ducking under a ramp to get to something
underneath and then from the side of the car.

3rd, the pit screws up floor use when you're not using the pit.

Compared to a four post or two post with decent clearance, you'd have to
be a bit daft (IMHO) to want a pit.  Compared to a lift without enough
clearance or for a space that can't deal with the posts, its a little
closer I guess, but I'd rather work on a car on a two post lift sitting on
my butt on the floor than in a pit.

Just MHO.

Mark