Re: [Shop-talk] press brake adapter?

To: "Mark Andy" <mark@sccaprepared.com>
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] press brake adapter?
From: "David Scheidt" <dmscheidt@gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 9 Apr 2008 18:13:03 -0400
On Wed, Apr 9, 2008 at 5:39 PM, Mark Andy <mark@sccaprepared.com> wrote:
> Howdy,
>

>  On Wed, 9 Apr 2008, Mike Rambour wrote:
>  > I got mine from this guy about 2 years ago
>  >
>  >
>http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/10in-H-FRAME-PRESS-BRAKE-METAL-BENDER-W-LOWER-V-DIE_W0QQitemZ320237678948QQihZ011QQcategoryZ63697QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
>  >
>  > If the link breaks up in e-mail its e-bay item 320237678948
>  >
>  > I got a 20" one and it was less than $150 with shipping at the time, I
>  > notice his 10" is now getting up there in price, so may the 20" would be
>  > near Northern's price also.
>
>  Interesting...
>
>  Any chance you'd be willing to take some detailed pics and/or do some
>  describing for me?  I'm thinking I should just make one of these vs.
>  buying one...  Seems like a fairly straight forward milling/welding
>  project.
>
>  In particular I'm interested in the dimensions (and the v-angle most
>  importantly) of the ram.  Also wondering if the slide pins are just metal
>  on metal with some grease or something more complicated.  From the various
>  descriptions I've read, the lower die is a 90 deg V, right?  What's the
>  top distance between the V legs?

I built one a few years ago.  I used 1X1 (by 3/16 thick, I think)
angle for the bottom, welded to a 1/4" bar stock.  The top was a 1X1
square rod.  That was welded to a 1/4" bar stock, too.  the dies were
mounted to steel 2X4 (by 1/8 or 3/16 thick.).  The frame was 1X1X1/8
square tube, with a shim between them and the bottom 2X4.  This worked
well enough for the one-off we built it for.  I couldn't get quite 90
degree angles out of it, without suplemental use of a hamme, but htey
were close.

--
David Scheidt
dmscheidt@gmail.com