Re: [Shop-talk] Other options for metal steps

To: shop-talk@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] Other options for metal steps
From: "John T. Blair" <jblair1948@cox.net>
Date: Tue, 01 Apr 2008 07:36:29 -0500
At 07:42 PM 3/31/2008 -0500, Rich White wrote:

>Ok, I got a yes and a no on the POR-15 for my rusty steps, thanks John and
>John.
>Is there a better option?
>
>They are way too big to powder coat!

Rich,

One thing about the POR15, it is expensive, about $35/qt.  Plus it will not
keep for a long time (say a couple of years).  While if you paint it with
POR you won't have to worry about it much.  The POR is very hard and if
you top coat it and the top coat chips or wears, I think the POR will
hold up.

But for a lot less money you can get a quart of Rust-o-lium or DeRusto
which will do a good job protecting the metal.  The only down side is that
you will probably have to repaint every couple of years.  But same for
the top coat on the POR.

John

Va. Beach, Va
Phone:  (757) 495-8229