Re: [Shop-talk] painting steps with POR-15

To: shop-talk List <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] painting steps with POR-15
From: John Miller <jem@milleredp.com>
Date: Sun, 30 Mar 2008 21:37:01 -0700
Rich White wrote:
> I need some advice from this knowledgeable group... We have a set of metal
> steps that need work.  These are heavy site build steps not the type you see
> on trailers.  The tread surface is diamond plate and was replaced last year.
> Nothing was done to protect them after the repair.  I was thinking of blasting
> them and then painting them with POR-15 this summer.  Is this a good idea?

Things to consider:

a) POR-15 is tough stuff, but...

b) It sticks well to rough bare-metal surfaces, poorly to smooth bare
surfaces, not at all to other coatings.

c) The standard black POR-15 disintegrates within a few days if left
exposed to solar UV.

d) Topcoating POR-15 basically has to be done while it's still tacky; if
you wait until it's hard NOTHING will stick unless the base POR-15 is
abraded enough to provide 'tooth' (in your case that might require a
lightly-abrasive blasting of the cured surface.)

e) In your application I'd be concerned that the topcoated surface would
see enough wear that it'd leave the base POR-15 exposed, which would
then begin to peel.

John.