Re: [Shop-talk] Fw: Cast iron to PVC soil pipe adapter?

To: <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] Fw: Cast iron to PVC soil pipe adapter?
From: "Karl Vacek" <kvacek@ameritech.net>
Date: Mon, 10 Mar 2008 22:09:53 -0500
Hey - you're on your way.  I don't know what M or W stands for - if it's
anything the plumbing supply will know, but I bet it's service weight.  The
weights haven't changed in a looong time, and actually, 80 years isn't that
old.

If the rubber insert fits just a little loose, lots of silicone works fine
as an adjunct.  In a recent floor-drain job, I had to mate service weight
into an XH hub and every "official" adapter rubber I could find was too
loose.  I used silicone on the seal and also put a well-siliconed mission
coupling on top of everything just to make sure.  Kind of
belt-and-suspenders, but I was putting oak floors over a concrete slab and
didn't want any chance of extra moisture from a weep.

Karl