[Shop-talk] Sam's Club Toolbox - report and you thought Arvid told

To: "shop-talk" <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: [Shop-talk] Sam's Club Toolbox - report and you thought Arvid told
From: "john niolon" <jniolon@bham.rr.com>
Date: Thu, 6 Mar 2008 06:45:18 -0600
    Made a trip to Sam's last nite to investigate the shiny toolbox.  After
waiting 10 minutes for someone with a key, I got to look it over.  At first
blush it looks pretty good.  It is constructed and finished well... heavy hard
rubber casters work smoothly with no load... with 500 # of tools ??  I can't
say.

One of my purchase criteria is one (or two) full width drawers as the top
drawer in the bottom cabinet that is deep enough to hold deep well sockets on
racks standing up ( 3" ?)  and hopefully next drawer down will be at least
2.5" to hold wrenches in racks. This killed it for me.  The top two drawers
were shallow... like 1.5" shallow.  Third down was about 1 3/4".  The guides
are plastic friction slide type, no bearings and one to each drawer side ...
on the deep bottom drawer there were two on each side. And, while not
difficult to pull out it seems to me they would be much harder with a load in
the drawer.

The top box is all shallow drawers with the deepest being 1-3/4".  Best used
for screwdrivers, pliers and wrenches lying flat in drawers.  I doubt that you
could get a normal flashlight in there and close the drawer.

One nice feature was that when you lifted the lid on the upper box the front
face panel of the top section rose with it leaving a ' flat area" instead of
an enclosed tray that is harder to access for height challenged operators.
Double gas cylinders hold the cover up. Over kill here, they are strong enough
together to pull the lid out of your hand.  One would have been plenty.
Drawer liners are included but not the nice knobby type.. just slick coated
rubber stuff that wouldn't 'hold' tools in place.  It's main function is to
protect drawer bottom from scratches.

The shiny diamond plate exterior is all for show.  it's actually a stamped
thin sheet metal faceplace on the drawers.  There are no detents or individual
drawer latches so if you move the box you need to lock both cabinets.

If you're just looking for a place to put the tools that your wife and kids
gave you for Christmas, or you occasionally fix a lamp or tighten a chain on a
bicycle...it's not a bad buy and would probably hold everything you own
easily.  If you're serious about organization of your tools and function I
don't think this box is layed out well at all.  If you're like me and have
duplicates of everything... it's not enough box.    the search continues.....

later
John

At my age... there's nothing
left to learn the hard way.