Re: [Shop-talk] Stainless steel welding

To: chad@linuxeg.com
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] Stainless steel welding
From: "David Scheidt" <dmscheidt@gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 4 Mar 2008 16:45:48 -0500
On Mon, Mar 3, 2008 at 9:31 PM, Chadwick E. Labno <chad@linuxeg.com> wrote:
> I need to gas weld a stainless steel exhaust system and I'm looking for
>  suggestions on the correct filler rod. I heard - read - stainless TIG
>  rods will work but the counter man at the welding supply tells
>  me that is a bad choice but could not offer an alternative. Unless I can
>  find some stainless coat hangers I'm at a loss. Ok, just joking about
>  the hangers but what I may end up doing is cutting strips off
>  the exhaust pipes and use that. Any ideas? Thanks in advance.
>  chad

I don't know much about welding stainless, but I know it can be done
with a torch.  It requires a flux, I think.  What sort of filler is to
be used depends on the alloy the parts are made of.  Lots of
stainlesses have problems with welding, because the alloy changes, so
different fillers are required, or the welded joints are less
corrosion resistant.  Sorry I can't be more helpful.

The tin man has a booklet about welding stainless, and sells a flux.

--
David Scheidt
dmscheidt@gmail.com