Re: [Shop-talk] Trickle Chargers - operating Costs

To: Wayne <wmc_st@xxiii.com>, Shop Talk <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] Trickle Chargers - operating Costs
From: Doug Braun <doug@dougbraun.com>
Date: Sun, 20 Jan 2008 08:54:38 -0800 (PST)
I just checked my Schumacher Battery Companion (which
has been connected to a 6-bolt battery for several
days) to a watt-meter, and it measured ZERO watts.

It's probably safe to say it uses one watt or less.
That's totally trivial from a cost perspective.
Probably similar to what a timer would use by itself.

If a charger kept using 20 watts for days at a time,
then the battery it is trying to charge is clearly
messed up.

My candidate for the most pointless waste of
electricity is my Verizon Fios Cable-TV box.  It uses
a constant 30 watts whether it is turned on or off.

Doug