Re: [Shop-talk] Storing Stuff in Garage "Attic"

To: Chris Kantarjiev <cak@dimebank.com>, <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] Storing Stuff in Garage "Attic"
From: Jim Stone <jandkstone99@msn.com>
Date: Wed, 2 Jan 2008 21:43:59 -0600
Thanks for the advice guys.  (And especially thanks to John for the pictures.)
I have a pretty good idea on what to do now.> Date: Mon, 31 Dec 2007 09:32:39
-0800> From: cak@dimebank.com> To: shop-talk@autox.team.net> Subject: Re:
[Shop-talk] Storing Stuff in Garage "Attic"> > My garage is stick-framed,
rather than using pre-built trusses, but> each set of roof beams has a 2x6
stringer across at the top plate.> These are spaced on 24". > > My garage is
small, and I need all the storage I can get, so I> had always planned to put
something up there. But... I have skylights> in the roof, because I like
working natural light whenever possible.> (The entire place is painted white
or covered in white showerboard.)> > What I did was cut 2x4s to fit between
the stringers, and hang them> at about 30" with Simpson Strong-Tie brackets
designed for this.> At the "ends", I used 2x6 instead (you'll see why). I did
this> between alternating pairs, so I can stick my head up between two>
stringers and put stuff on either side.> > Across the short 2x4s, I put
(white!) wire shelving that I bought> at the big box store - I think it's the
Rubbermaid shelving stuff.> This nestles 2" below the top of the 2x6s, so the
boxes are prevented> from sliding off in either direction or off the ends.> >
This has worked well for me. I don't put very heavy stuff up there.> You have
to pick storage boxes that you can hoist over head, and that> will fit in the
~20" space between the stringers! The first boxes> I chose were too big, and
Support Team.Net http://www.team.net/donate.html> > You are subscribed as