Re: [Shop-talk] sources for wheel weight kits?

To: shop-talk@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] sources for wheel weight kits?
From: Matt Wehland <mattw@webtripper.com>
Date: Thu, 27 Dec 2007 15:08:01 -0600
 From: Mark Andy <mark@sccaprepared.com>
 > Howdy,
> >
> > I'm getting a wheel balancer and need to pickup an assortment of wheel
> > weights.

If you get the clip-on type for alloy rims make sure they are coated so they
don't scratch the coatings on the rims.
Back when I was balancing my own rims I got a bunch of stick ons since they
won't scratch the rims, I'd had problems with tire places using non coated
weights that would scratch.
If the wheels were cleaned good I had no problems with them sticking.
I actually kept the stick ons and took them with me to tire shops when I
didn't have access to the balancing machine.
I also made sure that the weights were placed on the inside of the rim, so it
looked better.
Around this time Discount Tire opened in our area and I started using them
since they used decent weights and placed them on the inside.
They also used torque sticks for mounting the wheels so they didn't over
torque them.
They did things the way I wanted, without being asked.
Not sure how they are now though.

As for where to get them I'd try your local supplier for shops.  Napa might be
an option also.

Matt Wehland