Re: [Shop-talk] engine building stand

To: "john niolon" <jniolon@bham.rr.com>, "shop-talk" <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] engine building stand
From: Steve Shipley <shiples@comcast.net>
Date: Sat, 22 Dec 2007 15:26:38 -0800
At 10:48 AM 12/22/2007 -0600, john niolon wrote:
>I'm looking to build a replacement for my wimpy engine stand.  It did fine
>for a small block and some sixes but my next project is a 460 that will top
>700 #s fully dressed.  My stand will hold the weight but it's a strain and
>turning it is near impossible.
>
>I want to build something with bearings in the 'head' that can support the
>load and turn easily.  I've heard of one built with the ends of rearends cut
>down (with the axle bearings in place) and using the axle for the rod.  Also
>heard of some using front spindles or trailer spindles.   Anyone got any
>plans or pics of what I'm talking about.  700#s is a pretty good end load so
>it needs to be somewhat substantial...

One comment:  I use one of those generic stands and find it tough to
rotate a Ford 351.  But I just use a longer bar.  The friction in the head
keeps the engine in place once you've positioned it.  The pin is a safety
device.

Using some sort of bearing would certainly increase the wow factor but
I'd be concerned that you'd have to add a device to hold the engine once
rotated.  And since the CG changes as you build your engine, wouldn't
you have to have some way to adjust the friction on the head?

Steve Shipley