Re: [Shop-talk] Battery Clarification

To: pethier@comcast.net
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] Battery Clarification
From: "David Scheidt" <dmscheidt@gmail.com>
Date: Sat, 22 Dec 2007 14:55:21 -0500
On Dec 21, 2007 11:30 PM,  <pethier@comcast.net> wrote:
> From: "David Scheidt" <dmscheidt@gmail.com>
> > Lithium ion batteries have a short lifetime.  They last about 24
> > months from the date of manufacture.  That's true if they're used, or
> > not.
>
> Maybe Ni-MH batteries would be better.  I've had my little Kodak digi camera
>for 36 months, put a couple of thousand pix though it and pay little attention
>to when I put it on the charging stand and when I don't.

The advantage -- and it really is singular -- of Li-ion batteries is
power density.  For a battery of a given mass, the Li-ion battery will
hold more power than anything else except for some really exotic
battery types, but it costs more, has a shorter lifespan, requires an
expensive charging circuit, is more sensitive to temperature and
storage conditions, and will wear out sitting on a shelf.  The energy
density means it has a longer run time, talk time, or more photos per
charge, which is why everything has one.

--
David Scheidt
dmscheidt@gmail.com