[Shop-talk] Lug Bolts?

To: shop-talk@autox.team.net
Subject: [Shop-talk] Lug Bolts?
From: David Hillman <hillman@planet-torque.com>
Date: Wed, 19 Dec 2007 23:08:21 -0500 (EST)
    I'm sort-of shopping for my wife's next car, and have recently learned
that two of the would-be candidates feature this insane method of wheel
attachment called the 'lug bolt'.  Now, I had a Alfa years ago that used
these, and the day I sold it, I vowed never again to be stupid enough to
buy such a car.  Actually, I think I made that vow every damn I had to
put a wheel on that car, but it was Italian, so you expected some hassle.

    But, the choices are pretty slim apart from these two cars... so can
anyone give me some good reason why I shouldn't think lug bolts are one of
the greatest mistakes in automotive engineering history?  What is their
purpose, other than to take a perfectly good design and ruin it
completely?  Are they the result of a bunch of German engineers getting
way too drunk on dark beer at a Christmas party, and betting each other to
see who could come up with the worst idea?

    Thanks in advance.

--
  David Hillman