Re: [Shop-talk] recovering kitchen counter

To: shop-talk@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] recovering kitchen counter
From: "John T. Blair" <jblair1948@cox.net>
Date: Wed, 19 Dec 2007 07:19:23 -0500
At 09:17 PM 12/18/2007 -0500, Chadwick E. Labno wrote:

>My 30 year old kitchen counter tops are covered with a Formica type laminate
>and I need to recover them. Can I install new Formica type laminate over
>the old laminate or do I need to remove it....

Chad,

One thing you didn't mention, what is the base made of.  My place is about
30 yrs old and the base for the counter tops is press board.  So as others
have suggested, it definately, isn't worth trying to replace the laminate.

One other thing.  If you get a new counter top, and it's base IS press/chip
board, you might want to think about sealing it with something like paint,
varnish, etc.  The moisture from my dishwasher, and the water from the sink
has taken it toll on the chip board.  It was not sealed, and has swollen and
flaked.

John

>http://www.team.net/archive

Va. Beach, Va