[Shop-talk] Torque wrench - repair or replace?

To: shop-talk <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: [Shop-talk] Torque wrench - repair or replace?
From: "Larry Spector" <lspector@gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 18 Dec 2007 09:57:17 -0500
New topic for you-

I've got a 10+ year old Husky 1/2" torque wrench. Unlike the new ones
available from HD, it was USA made. This past weekend, the locknut
inside the handle came loose so it's no longer accurate. It's got a
lifetime warranty, so I can bring it back to HD and swap it for a
brand new Chinese made version.

My question - should I
a) send it out to be calibrated at ~$35-40
b) exchange it for a new Chinese one
c) trash it and buy a new/better one (and if so, which one?)

I use it most frequently for wheel torquing at autocrosses, but I also
use it for repair work in my home shop.

Thanks for any insight!

-Larry