Re: [Shop-talk] Craftsman impact set and Suburban issues

To: <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] Craftsman impact set and Suburban issues
From: "scottmryan" <scottmryan@netzero.net>
Date: Sat, 15 Dec 2007 05:56:18 -0600
> Jill has, I repeat, had only one other accident in her nearly 40 years of
> driving, that when she was 16.  And one of the ABS accidents was a t-bone
> of
> a Windstar going 40 on the cross street in a crowded suburban
> neighborhood.
<snip>
I just recently had a similar experiance, except my ABS (98 audi A4) is
disabled (at least 1 more bad tone ring and I pulled the fuse until I can
figure out which and how many other wheels) and a stupid student pulled out
fast at a blindish intersection with a stop sign the other way (I was
probably going 33). I hit the brakes, I am fairly sure only the rear wheels
locked, stopped around 6" from her front fender. I am not sure how much
better (if any) the ABS would have worked; it was dry conditions at around
55-60 degrees. Our saturn ABS ('95) has had several times I had to jam hard
on the pedal to get it to stop when on ice (just keeps clicking and barely
slowing down)

> Now I bet you'd disapprove that I turn off the traction control every time
> start get in the Cobra too   ;-)
> Karl

I always turn off the traction control on the Saturn in deep snow, you can
never get going on slippery deep snow conditions otherwise. (have figured
out you have to switch off the traction control and let off the gas pedal
before stepping on it again, luckily the switch is easy to hit without
having to search for it!)

Scott R