[Shop-talk] wells and such.

To: <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: [Shop-talk] wells and such.
From: "Mark Miller" <markmiller@threeboysfarm.com>
Date: Wed, 12 Dec 2007 19:51:23 -0800
I have a well.  It puts out about 1.6 gallons per minute.  For code purposes
(and common sense) I have a large (2500 gallon) storage tank.  The well
fills the storage tank, based on level sensors in the tank.  From the tank
there is a large booster pump that feeds a pressure tank; as explained very
well in an earlier post the pressure tank is there to keep the booster pump
from running constantly with any water use.  The size of the booster tank is
rather immaterial to the overall flow rate, just to the cycling of the
booster pump.
The booster pump is huge, as we have fire sprinklers in the house (code
required) that must have a 30GPM supply.  It's 2 or 3 HP.  From the pressure
tank I have 2" PVC pipe buried to the house, where it splits off to the
sprinklers and then 3/4" throughout the house.  Pressure is constant and
wonderful.  You can't tell if anyone else is using water when in the shower.

It sounds like you will need to have a tank and booster pump if you want
enough flow to drive your ultra shower.  If you say you don't have enough
flow to fill a tub then it sounds like the well pump is straining to meet
even minimum flows.
One thing to try: open a spigot right at the well and see what your water
flow rate is (time the fill into a tub or bucket of known size).  Let it run
long enough so you can see what the long term flow is.

Have fun.

Mark Miller.