Re: [Shop-talk] PO174 - PO176 OBD CODES

To: shop-talk <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] PO174 - PO176 OBD CODES
From: Mark Andy <mark@sccaprepared.com>
Date: Fri, 7 Dec 2007 10:19:51 -0500 (EST)
Howdy,

On Fri, 7 Dec 2007, john niolon wrote:
> MY '03 Tahoe through a check engine light at me yesterday... reader shows
> po174 and po176 codes which are engine lean...both banks
>
> from my googling it seems that it 'might' be a dirty MAF sensor or
> vacuum leak or leaking hoses etc figured I'd start with the MAF sensor.
>
> what's the best thing to clean it with and procedure if more than just
> spraying it down good ??  does it need to be removed from the MAF or
> cleaned in place...

There's a MAF cleaner spray, or lots of folks use brake clean.

If its really dirty though, this won't work.  What you want to do then is
take the sensor assembly apart enough that you can get to the sensing
resistors/wires with a q-tip.  Put some alcohol on the q-tip and rub the
wires until nothing comes off.  A gentle touch is required... The
wires/resistors are pretty thin.  Its not that hard to do, provided you
can actually get to the wires.

> what ever happened to cleaning/setting your points with a matchbook
> cover and getting back on the road ??  I hate technology... oh and
> windows vista...

As someone that just had to deal with screwing with points/condensor on my
motorhome generator....  Bring on the technology!  :-)

Mark