Re: [Shop-talk] fishing water line

To: <nases@verizon.net>, <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] fishing water line
From: "Karl Vacek" <kvacek@ameritech.net>
Date: Sun, 2 Dec 2007 10:20:29 -0600
While I prefer copper for most water lines, if you're ever going to add an
RO water system and use it to feed the refrigerator, plastic is a better
choice.  RO water is "hungry" and will react with the copper over time and
eventually eat through the tubing.

That said, I hooked up our refrigerator with polyethylene as soon as I'd put
it back in place on new oak floors.  Two days later I noticed that the
adjacent concrete floor was damp.  The plastic tubing had cracked at a
fitting and dripped enough to warp the new floor.

I worked with polyethylene tubing on a daily basis for 14 years and never
saw that before.

They make stainless-braid-covered icemaker lines too, plastic on the inside,
but the longest I've seen is 10 feet.

Polyethylene, and presumably PEX as well, won't flavor the water a bit.

Karl