Re: [Shop-talk] head bolt socket recommendations

To: shop-talk@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] head bolt socket recommendations
From: Mark Andy <mark@sccaprepared.com>
Date: Tue, 20 Nov 2007 11:05:26 -0500 (EST)
Howdy,

On Mon, 19 Nov 2007, Gerald Brazil wrote:
> Do you have access to a lathe? Shave a little off of the outside of the
> impact....it will probably still be strong enough.....
>
> Lacking a lathe you could probably do a satisfactory job by chucking it
> in a drill press, spinning it and then use a grinder to trim it down.

You might want the grinder on the lathe too...  Sockets are pretty damn
hard.  My old company manufactured stuff, and had a manual machining room.
I used to use it on the off hours to make parts for the bikes I was
racing.  The head guy was _NOT_ amused when I destroyed a couple expensive
endmills trying to machine a socket to make a tool...

In my case I ended up heating them with a torch to remove the heat treat,
but that wouldn't work for the OP.

Are the regular sockets you're using decent quality?  I've never had any
particular issue using normal six point sockets on an impact when I've had
to.

Mark