Re: [Shop-talk] Building a service elevator/dumb waiter under a

To: shop-talk@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] Building a service elevator/dumb waiter under a
From: Steve Shipley <shiples@comcast.net>
Date: Fri, 02 Nov 2007 14:38:05 -0700
>Note, I have no idea about the code for this, but who cares? Its way COOL!

I too have spent waaay to much time thinking about this.

I have considered "powering" the lift with a tank that functions as a
counterbalance.
Storage tank, counterbalance tank, hoses, fittings, and a pump. Tank full
and the lift
goes up, tank empty and the lift goes down.

What I've never figured out is the failsafe system like the original Otis?
elevator.

Like when the air pressure blows out the air hose, or the power goes out,
or when
the chain fractures, or a moth shorts out the relay....

And regarding building codes.....If it's part of the structure my guess is
that it should
be built to code.  But what if it's a device that is not part of the
structure?  I don't think
the building inspector has any say in what kind of lift I use in my shop.

Oh, and even though this is a little off topic,  You're going to need the
stuff you're storing?
http://eldercare.uniontrib.com/news/denise/hoarding.cfm

Personally, I've noticed some of the stuff I've stored over the years are
reminders of some
of my "ineffective" behaviors.