Re: [Shop-talk] Building a service elevator (part 1 of 2)

To: shop-talk@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] Building a service elevator (part 1 of 2)
From: "John T. Blair" <jblair1948@cox.net>
Date: Fri, 02 Nov 2007 10:11:59 -0500
><<I was thinking of building some sort of
>>lift, perhaps using some steel pipes for uprights, and a platform
>>raised/lowered by a small electric hoist or winch>>

To all those that expressed some interest in this project.

The first thing you need to figure out, is how much weight you
expect to lift.  For the fellow looking to store stuff under his
house, I don't expect that to be too much.  To those wanting to
lift stuff the their 2nd story of the garage/shop, I'd expect you'd
want to lift a lot more.

Someone had suggested the HF 800# wench.  That's a good start.  But
you have to know if it can lift 800# or is that for 800# rolling like
a car or boat onto a trailer.

I'd want a wench that could lift 800#.  That being said, I'd also want
a safety factor of say 2, so I could only load 400# onto the lifting
platform.

The design could be made out of wood or steel.  If wood, I'd look at
using 4x4s or 2x6s.  If steel I'd look at using angle iron as it
would be stronger than flat bar.  Especially for the lifting derik.

The steel could be bolted, welded or both.  The wood should be through
bolted.

So that being decided, you have 2 seperate problems to design for:

1. a derik on the top that can lift the max design weight, 800#.

   a. The design could either be 3 or 4 legged.  If 4 leggs, you'd want to
      connect the 4 verticals, and then probably have something going across
      the middle where the wench is to be mounted.

      We build a derik in my dads garage using 2 vertical 2x6s, on each side
      and 2 2x6s across the tops to pull engines.  Which were close to the
      800# design criteria.

   b. It would have to be high enough for the largest item not to fowl the
      lifting rig.  So what is the tallest item you think you'd put on it?
      My guess would be at least 4 feet tall.

      So the derik would have to be 5' or taller to hold the wench and have
      the platform come up.  You may be limited in height based on the
      height of the ceiling.  If so, you're lifting platform would have to
      be lower, consiquently the size of an object to lift would have to
      be smaller.

Continued

Va. Beach, Va
Phone:  (757) 495-8229