Re: [Shop-talk] Other source of garage heat: Waste Oil

To: "JAMES STONE" <jandkstone99@msn.com>
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] Other source of garage heat: Waste Oil
From: "David Scheidt" <dmscheidt@gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 19 Oct 2007 23:00:55 -0400
On 10/19/07, JAMES STONE <jandkstone99@msn.com> wrote:
> All of this talk about heating, electric, gas and geothermal garage heat
> reminds me to ask about a topic I have long been curious about: Waste Oil
> Heaters.  Does anyone have any experience with them?  I don't need to heat the
> garage around the clock, just for a few hours at a time.  I frequently have
> several gallons of used oil sitting around between trips to the recycling
> center and it would be nice to put it to good use.  Do they work?  Are they
> environmentally ok?  How about homemade ones?  (see for example:
> http://journeytoforever.org/biofuel_library/ethanol_motherearth/me4.html#mwoh)
> Has anyone ever tried one of these?

I've worked in shops with commercially produced ones.  There are
regulatory requirements to deal with; the federal ones are pretty
easy: they assume that if the fuel is okay, the exhaust will be, too.
They do limit you to burning waste you generate yourself.  Used oil is
about 140K BTU/gallon, so unless you've got a lot of equipment, you're
not likely to generate enough oil for it to be worthwhile.   States
and cities have tougher rules, and may prohibit them residential
areas.

I wouldn't even think about a stove that mother earth news says you
can build.  It's unlikely to be a safe design, and it certainly won't
be efficient.

--
David Scheidt
dmscheidt@gmail.com