Re: [Shop-talk] garage heating, electric vs. gas

To: "'Mark Andy'" <mark@sccaprepared.com>, <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] garage heating, electric vs. gas
From: "Paul Mele" <paul.mele@usermail.com>
Date: Thu, 18 Oct 2007 11:41:40 -0400
<<So what's the scoop on electric heaters appropriate for around the clock
heating in a garage?  >>

I'd consider that any 24/7 system has the same trades as your house HVAC;
Lower target temp means that the differences are smaller, but same rules
apply.
Tight air envelope, then good insulation are one=time costs with  infinite
return...house or shop

Then a geo-thermal is most efficient energy user, but most hassle and cost
to install; however, if you really only want to keep it at 50 inside, and
your building is already very tight and insulated, a ground loop about 5 ft
deep with water thru and air handler will keep it 45 or above in winter and
85 or below in summer here in NC (I've had this in my shop).

More practical is a traditional heat pump system.  The long term cost (we
all are very young, aren't we) will be much less, even if fuel costs don't
go up at all.

For intermittent heat, you might re-investgiate the oil-burners for shops
that use old engine oil...get your friends to donate to you 55 gal barrel.
I don't have any experience with this, but always thought about it when I
lived in upstate NY years ago.

Hope that helps a little...talk is cheap!

Paul