Re: [Shop-talk] Walkie-talkies

To: shop-talk@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] Walkie-talkies
From: Wayne <wmc_st@xxiii.com>
Date: Wed, 26 Sep 2007 23:38:00 -0400
Charlie Schlismann wrote:
> I need to communicate with the guys in the shop that
> pays my bills.  I had the bright idea of two-way
> radios but am overwhelmed by the information I've

Only thing I can relate to it is cordless phones.  Years ago (circa
1994) I was in an industrial environment of concrete block, rebar, metal
roof, etc with lots of electrical noise.  A VP wanted a cordless phone
for roaming shop use.  To test, I brought in a early gen cordless I had
at home.  It got all of 20ft from the base before loosing it.  900MHz
phones had *just* come out, so I scored one that was returnable (Best
Buy had just come to town, wow.)  It worked for a couple hundred feet
from the base, but we returned it because the volume was insufficient to
hear the thing.

Since then, there are all the 2.4 and 5 GHz phones.  From what I
understand, the higher frequencies propagate further through
unobstructed air, but are worse then 900MHz at penetrating barriers.
ie:  unless you're in a pasture, the old 900 is often better.

I don't know what freq's the radios work on, but I'd guess they're
similar to residential cordless phones.

HTH,

   -Wayne